The name Mariquita comes from the Tupi word mairaquiquiig that means "place that gives tiny fish". In that region, the quantity of petitinga fish was abundant. Today it is in the proximity that the famous and still active "Market of the Fish" is located.
The origin of the name Rio Vermelho comes from the Tupi word Camorogipe, which means river of muddy waters. It was there, that in mid 1510 the fleet driven by the Portuguese Diogo Álvares Corrêa sank in the region of the Square of the Mariquita. He was able to find shelter in the "Pedra da Concha", a big stone located in front of the "Mercado do Peixe" as it is known today. The native tupinambá Indians nicknamed Diogo Caramuru, because his clothes, wet and stuck to his body, reminded of the fish moray (caramuru). The legend says that the Indians believed that Caramuru possessed magical powers because they saw him shoot with his blunderbuss, unknown weapon to the Indians. Because of that, he earned respect and lived in common with the natives himself falling in love with the Indian woman named Paraguaçu, with whom he married and gave the Christian name of Catarina Álvares Paraguaçu.
It was in the beginning of the XX century that the famous trolley arrived in the neighborhood, attracting more attention of the vacationers. Two lines circulated: the top line, which left at “ Campo Grande ”, and the bottom line, that followed from the “Dique”. The areas near to the sea were a much valued, the lands were more costly and there the families built their beach houses.
The golden period of the summer vacation in the neighborhood was from 1880 to 1930, having its end, probably, with the implementation of the plot-division Cruz Aguiar.
From 1901 the first cars in Salvador started to appear. Generally they were of European origin and owned by families of high standards. Later, in 1958, the mayor Hélio Machado commanded the closing of the electric trolleys, giving rise to the first means of transports for big capacity, named Marinetti, today popularly known as bus.
Since the end of the XIX century the neighborhood of Rio Vermelho has been one of the favorite localities for summer vacations. Entire families used to pass there the summer months. They arrived in caravans pulled by animals to bathe in the salty and hot waters, which everybody believed to be capable to cure the Beriberi sickness. The richest families had their estates near to the beach while the fishermen and the humblest families concentrated more in the interior of the neighborhood.
There was, in the times of the summer vacations, the habit of practicing certain sports that became characteristic of the neighborhood of Rio Vermelho, cricket, in the present plaza “Duque de Caxias”; soccer in the old meadow of Rio Vermelho and golf. The present park “Cruz Aguiar” was an immense racecourse, with bets and horse races.
In the time in which no channeled water existed, the spring of the “Cabussu" supplied crystalline water, that was sold in the neighborhood of Barris. The spring was buried and today the place is known as "Park Lucaia".
In a determinate area of the neighborhood where the streets have names of cities of the interior of the state of Bahia : Street Alagoinhas, Street Itabuna, Street Jequié, etc. Many of them are still tranquil as in the past, doing justice to the name.
Make your reservation and guarantee your stay at our hotel.
Rua Nelson Galo, 125, Rio Vermelho - Salvador / BA / Brazil | Phone: +55 71 3248-5552 | Email: email@example.com by jourdandesign